Sunday, January 18, 2015

Our Favorite Harry Connick Jr. Quotes About ‘American Idol’

He has a way with words!

Even before his stint on  “American Idol” debuted last year, we were already  loving newbie judge Harry Connick Jr.’s colorful commentary. Sure, we got a sneak peek at the crooner’s style thanks to his past mentoring stints on the show, but we can definitely see why he was hired to help refresh the stagnant judges’ panel, because he had the quotes to prove it!



Connick’s already turning out to be “Idol’s” biggest cheerleader, comparing the show to a familiar brand. You know, like classic Coca Cola?  "Remember when they came out with new Coke and everybody was upset by it?” he asked the Hollywood Reporter. “It couldn't have teed up the return of Coke Classic any better. When Coke Classic came out, it exploded even bigger than it was before because it created this void and people missed it. And I think that's what this year can potentially do for this brand. People sort of missed their classic ‘American Idol.’  And it's back." (Indeed, pal J. Lo agreed that there’d nothing like the real thing, baby!)

Connick was the star of the “American Idol” panel at last year’s Television Critics Association winter press tour. When asked about rival TV talent shows like “The Voice,” the singer gave a quirky comparison about how he only has eyes for “Idol.”

"Look, when I went on my honeymoon with my wife, I remember looking at all the other couples around and I assumed they were on their honeymoon too, and I promise you I never once looked at my wife and said, ‘Man, I wonder how they got so happy. I wonder how we're going to stack up next to them,’” he said, according to E Online. “I'm married to this show and I'm so happy that I don't even see another couple. This is what I see and I promise you one thing, it's a blast, it's so fun, it's the only thing I'm thinking of.”

In  a conference call with reporters, the singer summed up his judging stint this way: “It's not rocket science, right?" He elaborated with: "It's a very simple concept. They hired us to judge, and all these young performers sign up to be judged. That's it. They sing, we judge, it's pretty easy." In other words: No drama required.

And finally, this one went down on the “Idol” stage, but it was before Connick was a judge. Still, it’s exchanges like this that probably got him hired! Two years ago, when Connick was a mentor on the show, he butted heads with longtime judge Randy Jackson over contestant Kree Harrison’s rendition of the classic song “Stormy Weather.”  After Harrison performed Lena Horne’s version of the song, Jackson told her she would have done better with the bluesier Etta James version. But Connick, who had mentored the girls that week, pointed out that the “Idol” wannabe needed to learn the melody first. After Jackson began to chant “Stick to who you are!  Kree, just be Kree, baby! We just want you to be Kree!,”  Connick got in the last – and funniest—word: "We want you to be Kree, but choose the Etta James version,” he deadpanned.

Way to diss a longtime judge – and later take his seat!


No comments: