Sunday, August 21, 2005

Carver and Wyeth and a long lost love

I wrote some AC articles this week on two talented men that I wish were still alive today: Raymond Carver, my all time favorite writer, and NC Wyeth, one of the most talented painters to ever walk this earth.

There's not a lot of info about Carver available on the Internet. I would like to try to find a copy of a book about him, "Carver Country." There's no bio of his life as far as I know. Still, I pulled out my old copy of "Where I'm Calling From" and read "A Small, Good Thing" and a couple of others. This man's work inspires me every time. I need to get on my own writing-- if I could only find the time.

NC Wyeth-- I do own a couple books on his life. He was a fascinating man and I want to take a trip-- soon-- to the Brandywine Rover Museum and the tour of his house and studio. I swear, when you're in his studio you can feel his presence. It's been quite a while since I've been there.

On a totally unrelated note (because I'm in the mood to ramble today), recently my mother stumbled upon a geneology website of a man who broke her heart years ago, before she met my dad. There are pictures of this man on the site, including one that she carried in her wallet for years before her cousin Vince made her burn it. Now that same picture is on the Internet, plus pics of him now as an old man. She's freaked out by the whole thing, seeing him now as an old man when it's been almost 50 years since she last saw him. Sometimes too much information is not a good thing, but in this case it was. They've rekindled an old friendship.

And life keeps whizzing by....