Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Tribute to Charles Lane


One of my favorite character actors, Charles Lane, will be celebrating his 101st birthday later this month. That's right, you heard me: 101st. As in, he was born in the year 1905.

If you've watched any classic TV in the last 50 years, you know who Charles Lane is. If you've ever watched old movies like "It's a Wonderful Life" or "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," you've seen him, too.

Lane's IMBD bio lists him in hundreds of movie and television roles. This great actor has appeared on just about every classic TV series, from "I Love Lucy" to "Soap." He is probably best known for his role as Homer Bledsoe in "Petticoat Junction," but I like him best when he just unexpectedly pops up on a show I'm watching. "Little House on the Prairie." "The Odd Couple." "The Beverly Hillbillies."

My favorite is a 1967 "Bewitched" appearance, when he played cranky old Mr. Mortimer in an episode called "Humbug Not to be Spoken Here." I also liked his stint as banker, Mr. Barnsdahl, in "The Lucy Show." (Pop culture alert: This was before Gale Gordon came on board as Mr. Mooney).

Anyway, let's join in in celebrating the 101st birthday of one of my favorite actors of all time. He's had a prolific career, one that deserves a nod.

Happy 101st, Mr. Lane!


No comments: